The Exercise by Referral scheme is available to people who meet the eligibility criteria. The scheme is a comprehensive 12 week programme of exercise, supported by qualified exercise referral staff and carried out at local leisure centres.
The leisure centres involved in the Exercise by Referral scheme are:#
The service aims to increase exercise and activity for people wanting to improve their health. It is particularly aimed at people who currently do little or no physical activity but are motivated to do more.
In order to take part in the scheme people must be referred by a GP or other qualified health professional and must meet the criteria below:
- Aged 19 or over
- A Derbyshire resident or registered with a Derbyshire GP
- Inactive, for example doing less than 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week
- Have not been previously referred into the programme
Anyone who is referred but does not meet the criteria will not be accepted onto the scheme.
You can refer a patient or client into the Live Life Better Derbyshire service and the Exercise by Referral scheme by completing an online referral form.
About the Activities
Activities are overseen by fully qualified staff and can be accessed during the day or evening. The choice of activities varies at each centre, but includes:
- A 12-week weight management programme
- Gym sessions
- Class based activities including yoga, pilates, aqua fit, and low intensity circuits
- Walking groups
The scheme is FREE for people that are entitled to access it.